Tuesday 12 August 2008

What am I Blogging for?

I was pondering what to post about today - nothing much happened to me yesterday, just filing and trying to avoid filing! I signed into Blogger and I read 'Spice up your blog with Google Gadgets!' Gadges are little things I can add to the sidebar maybe to tell a joke every day or display a Vincent van Gogh work's or keep me up to date with the news from Montenegro. In the desire to embrace new ideas and to make my blog eye-catching, I explored. I dallied briefly with the idea of National Geographic's 'Photo of the Day' but I didn't like how it looked and I wasn't sure if it was really what this blog is about. Which led me to the question: What is this blog about?

On my train journey on Sunday, I gave thought to the question of my goals for this blog. I love having goals. It makes me feel that I am going somewhere. The reality of getting there is seldom as much fun, but choosing a destination always excites me.


I came up with four distinct aims:

  1. I started this blog after reading 'The Artist's Way', as part of 'discovering my creative self'. I had never before thought of myself as a writer and as the germ of the idea that maybe I could be grew, I wanted to find out, to practice and to experiment.
  2. I have let many of my friends and family know about 'Navigating my the Stars' so that they can drop in occasionally and see what we're up to. I try to post pictures of the children often and they enjoy reading about themselves. I hope it will be a record of our days, perhaps to be looked back over on birthdays or at New Year.
  3. I have found an unexpected benefit in that writing about the incidents in my day, or the books I've read, or the thoughts I've had has led me to be more reflective. To consider my reactions and perhaps to learn from them.
  4. I have been blessed and inspired on my Home Ed journey by a number of other blogs, (the ones I visit most regularly are in the sidebar) and I aspire to offer something back to other Home Ed families, my ideas, my thoughts and my musings. I would like to think that someone new to Home Ed would find the 'Day in the Life Of' aspect what I write helpful as one picture of what Home Ed looks like. I also hope that those further along the jouney would be interested in my travels, find new perspectives and that we could encourage one another along the way.
If you read and enjoy my blog, I would be interested to know what it is that you like and maybe what you'd like to hear more of.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I'm enjoying your collection of reflections and doings just as they are. But that being said, I'd be interested in hearing about some of your specific education plans for the coming year...or if that's too much, perhaps a few good books you and your children plan to read. It's always fun to hear what others are reading.

Kathy @ www.restorationplace.typepad.com