Friday 1 August 2008

Still learning

Following on from yesterday's post, Kathy has kindly commented that she does subscribe on Google Reader. This, I'm guessing, means that it's not something I have to set up to enable people to do, which is a big relief. It also emphasises how little I understand about this subject.

As I have mentioned before, one of my mottos, since reading 'The Artist's Way', is 'It's impossible to get better and look good at the same time.' Along the same lines are 'Progress, not perfection is what we are after, ' and 'Mistakes are necessary.'

I am reminded of something that I tell expectant mothers in the Breastfeeding Classes I teach: Whenever you see a mum out and about breastfeeding with discretion and confidence, it's important to remember that she's probably been doing it a while and had plenty of practice with her little one. As they begin their breastfeeding experience, in the first few days, it is unrealistic to expect it to be as simple and easy, but that doesn't mean it won't be after a few week's practice.

I guess blogging is the same. As I read some other blogs, I notice things that I wish my blog had, but I haven't yet had the time to work out how to do. And I remind myself that some of these blogs have been going a few years now and I have plenty of time to learn.

While I was pondering what to write today, I skipped around my regular blog-reads and I came across this at Farm School:

“People who believe in the power of talent tend not to fulfill their potential
because they’re so concerned with looking smart and not making mistakes. But
people who believe that talent can be developed are the ones who really push,
stretch, confront their own mistakes and learn from them.”
I tentatively hope that the latter would describe me: willing to believe that I can still learn, still develop and still grow.



I hope, too, that this, above all else educationally, is what my children will learn about themselves.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw through my blog dashboard that you had linked to my post and made my way over here.

It's a great quote, isn't it? Another of the things to add to my list of "If the kids learn only this, they'll be fine".

By the way, if a complete Luddite like me can figure out blogs and blogging (and templates and everything else that goes along with them), anyone can! Glad to find you...

Cheers,

Becky

Gaynor said...

How cool that your blog somehow 'knows' I've linked to it! I did mean to put a comment on yours to let you know, but I wasn't sure you'd pick it up as it wasn't your most recent post and then, while I was deciding, I forgot! So glad your blog dashboard was on the case!
love Gaynor