Friday 22 August 2008

Unintended spontaneity

(This actually happened on Wednesday, but I had some stuff to get off my chest yesterday so this got bumped down the schedule.)

I had just got my daughter tucked up, kissed good-night and had left her listening to Paddington. My sons were pyjama-ed and settling down for the night. I had a DVD ready and a glass of wine with my name on, when the 'phone rang.
"Hi, It's Hannah, from Bushy Park. Are you coming on the Night Prowl?"
"Oh yes, we're really looking forward to it. It's tomorrow night, right?"
"No. It's now. We've just started."
!
Did I really want to get the children up, dressed, out (in the rain) to walk in the dark? Sure! Much to the confusion of the whole family, we were clothed, had our wellies on and torches in hands and were in the park in less than 20 minutes!
We had a really special time. We saw a number of bats and were able to learn lots from Nigel, the man who knows all about bats, (I'm sure he has much more important role, but we missed all the introductions.) There was a moth trap set up and Tim, the man who knows all about moths, was there to explain it all. We also saw some toads, which I don't think I've ever seen before. The children found it very exciting to be out after dark, although my daughter expressed some concern over werewolves! We had mugs of hot chocolate when we got home and declared that we would not forget this Summer's walks in Bushy Park.
I am not someone who does spontaneity very well. I like structure, I like the idea of knowing what I will be doing weeks in advance. There was a moment when I thought, 'We can't possibly go out now, the children are in bed and I had other plans,' but, to steal Harry's words, "I feel like I'm really growing."

No comments: