Sunday 3 August 2008

Retreat

I have just returned from 48 hours retreat at a local convent - a blissful and peaceful time.

As I settled in on Friday I took the first of many strolls around the extensive gardens and sat by a pool for a while. I hoped I might see a frog. I don't know why, I just thought I'd like to. I had a good look in the pond for the eyes just above the surface, but there was nothing. I sat on the bench, kicked off my shoes and relaxed in the sun. For a while I watched a robin take a dust bath, and then I just sat some more.

And with a plop, a frog jumped into my shoe! He paused and then continued his journey into the pond, where he sat in the cool water staring up at me, before diving deeper to rest on the bottom.

In trying so hard to find a frog, I had drawn a blank. In kicking back and sitting, he'd come right to me.

No comments: