Monday 4 August 2008

The Cave of the Yellow Dog

I belong to one of those online DVD rental services. It started as a free trial and then we signed up for just 2 discs a month and then it grew to unlimited discs, 2 at a time so I could run one list for my husband and me and one list for the children. I select which films I'd like to see and I get sent them in a random order. It is possible to label some as high priority, but I like the element of surprise. Most of the films on the list are just films I think will be fun to watch. Occaionsally I get a bit 'worthy' and start putting 'classics', 'gritty' or 'educational' films on the list. When they land on the doormat, I tend to feel slightly disappointed and have to make the effort to watch them.. One such film was 'Ocean's 11' : not the one with the gorgeous George Clooney, which I have seen and loved a number of times, but, in an effort to improve my film-buff rating, the 60s version with Frank Sinatra.


So, it was with a wry smile that I told the children that the latest DVD to arrive by post was a Mongolian film entitled 'The Cave of the Yellow Dog'! Yes, Mongolian! I cannot remember where I saw it recommended, but I was taken by the fact that it was made by the same people who made 'The Story of the Weeping Camel'. This I saw a while ago in a tutorial when I was still training as a Breastfeeding Counsellor. At the time I really could not see the point of it, but I have been surprised how often it has come back to mind and I have pondered what I saw. 'The Cave of the Yellow Dog' was a beautiful film and the children were absorbed. Although there was little dialogue, I did have to summarise the sub-titles occasionally for my not-yet-reading daughter. She, in particular, was engrossed in the story and in tears when the dog was left behind (but that was not the end ...) It was a fascinting insight into a lifestyle so utterly removed from our own in a gentle and engaging way and the narrative was satisfying, with climax and ending, enabling a brief resume of plot basics. The family portrayed were completely natural and although some scenes were clearly 'acted', much, I imagine, was spontaneous. Disney it was not, but I think this comment on 'Weeping Camel' sums up 'Yellow Dog' perfectly too, 'This spare film provides a visually enchanting and unique learning experience.' And, I would add, a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon with the family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great. I have a kid who loves documentary so our list is just full of that (and Miss Marple; she's on an Agatha Christie jag). I also find that even with rankings things come somewhat randomly, so sometimes we get all stuff I was thinking of Tigger for and sometimes we have all adult stuff. We have 4 things at a time, 11 shipments a month.

I'll check out that film though. Looks like something we'd like.

Gaynor said...

I like Miss Marple too. Seemingly so sweet and gentle, but really a tenacious superwoman in disguise! Very British!