Saturday 23 August 2008

A little bit more camping

We all went our separate ways yesterday. My husband took my middle son camping, just the two of them, father and son. They went to a campsite only about 15 minutes drive away, but it is the experience that matters. My son was so excited after lunch that he gave up waiting for his dad and went to sit in the car! I had a call from the pub yesterday evening, apparently beer and lemonade were being consumed.

My daughter went for a sleep-over (or should that be wake-over?) at a friend's house. She was so excited that she had packed her own pink, spotty suitcase by 7 o'clock in the morning! She is a very social creature.
My eldest son and I caught the train to the local shopping centre to peruse a bookshop and spend some of his birthday money. After rejecting a number of books which he could get from the library he chose couple of hard-backs: one designed to inspire imagination with lots of room for jotting down ideas and The Boys Book of Survival. He also chose a popular science book and the latest in the Astrosaur series, of which he has the full set. We had tea and cake in a cafe and he has barely spoken since because he has been reading.

Three such different children. I have a good feeling today of having met each of their needs and honoured them as individuals.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put a star on the calendar so you can go back on one of those days when you find it impossible to meet anyone's needs :-)

Gaynor said...

You are so right. It is so easy to just hope these kind of things will happen by chance and yet I really need to be intentional, to build days like this in. Thank you!