Monday 23 June 2008

Freedom

Yesterday, Morgan Tsvangirai pulled out of the presidential run-off in Zimbabwe due to escalating violence. When I saw this report, I felt deeply sad, expressing my suprise, disappointment and shock aloud; I went to find my husband to tell him. I am not a political commentator and my knowledge of current affairs is largely based on the lunchtime news headlines and The News Quiz on Radio 4. I know little about the post-colonial history of Zimbabwe and I leave it up to foreign correspondents and professional analysts to offer insight and informed comment. Tsvangirai, the opposition leader who won the presidential vote in March has withdrawn because he felt that he could not ask people for their vote when that vote might cost them their lives. When I hear such stories, accounts of oppressive regimes, secret police, vicious dictators, I question my own integrity. What would I do? I would love to believe that I have the strength of character to be willing to stand up for what I hold to be true but, faced with threats, beatings, torture and death not only for myself but my family, I do not think I would. I can only salute, and mourn for, those who do, who are forced to give their health, freedom, family and lives for a liberty that I take for granted.

1 comment:

cinderella said...

Gaynor

Freedom is a precious thing and is something that has been denied to me. I was a person who spent many years afraid to express my opinion and could never be myself.
The man I married capitalised on this and restricted me even further.
Twenty years and three children later I am pulling myself out of the hole I dug for myself. It's not easy but I will never give up my right to freedom and respect.
Keep on blogging!
Lucille