Thursday 12 June 2008

Procrastinating

I have house guests arriving today. Currently the house is in complete disarray. I am persuading myself that I can't really do anything until the bed linen has finished the washing cycle and that time planning the rest of the morning is time well spent; but I am recognising that pattern of mine, of which I am newly conscious, of leaving it all to a crisis point to generate the necessary energy to do it. Also, and I think this is a 24-carat reason, I have to post in my new blog. After all, I only started it yesterday and I want to start out as I mean to go on!

My children have got out at least 100 soft toys and playmobile characters to perform the wedding of my middle son's favourite stuffed rabbit, Rosie, to my eldest's Blue Teddy (he was never one for fanciful names!) Watching, somewhat impatiently, thinking of the mess that needed tidying up, I noticed the voices in my head having a heated arguement. The negative, doubting voices wondering what other children of this age would think, the ones with Playstation and Wii. Surely playing weddings with soft toys with your little sister is not cool: are they socially disadvantaged? On the other hand, says my radical unschooler voice, look at the imagination, the social imitation, the language, the inclusion. And then, and this is something I'm just beginning to learn, there was another voice saying, "Just watch, don't comment, don't judge, don't use this to justify or doubt your choice of Home Ed, just watch." And so I did. And actually, two soft toys getting married isn't too interesting, but at least it was quiet in my head!

No comments: