Sunday 15 June 2008

Splashing About

For a while now I have by the side of the blog pool. I have enjoyed watching the confident swimmers, showing off all their tricks and recently I have begun to envy them. I have dipped in an occasional toe by posting a comment or two and I have begun to really want to dive in myself. Fear, of it being too complicated, of having nothing to say, of starting and giving up, of being too busy, has held me back. But this week, something shifted, and all of a sudden, without too much thought, I jumped right in! And here I am, splashing about!

However, the fears and doubts are clamouring for attention. What about a blog list? Photos? Links? What am I allowed to link to, what's the etiquette, what's legal? Should I name my children, or give them blog names to protect their identities?

I have managed to add a photo, but it was a painful experience!! Emboldened by successfully adding one, I tried a second, but it did not appear in the post where I wanted it and the layout looked all wrong. I couldn't figure out how to delete it, then I lost this screen and could only get to my post in Html. This was late on Friday and I was tired and far too proud to publish a post that looked stupid. So I resorted to cutting and pasting the text, deleting the whole post and starting again, without the picture!

I am remembering the challenge that propelled me from the safety and frustration of the edge to the fun and fear of swimming: "If I didn't have to do it perfectly, what would I try?" Can I let my blog be less than perfect? And if I can manage that, can I extend it to the rest of my life? Now, that would be an achievement worth posting about!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go you!!! I'm very excited to see you start blogging. I'll add you to my blogroll. Great to have you on board. Keep writing!

Gaynor said...

Thank you for your encouragement!