Wednesday 11 June 2008

Jump right in

Ive been considering a writing a blog for while now: somewhere to write, somewhere to create, somewhere to share my reflections on my life. I've been so encouraged, so inspired by blogs I've read and I've thought, "I could do that," but it's quickly replaced by "I'd like to do that but ..." and out come all the doubts. So I'm jumping right in, inspired by the idea "If I didn't have to do it perfectly, I would try ..." (not mine, but Julia Cameron's in The Artist's Way) so here I am, trying blogging.

Today we saw some greenfinches in the garden. I have heard greenfinches often, and chaffinches and goldfinches, but they never seem to come to our feeder. Illogically, I feel rejected! So I was pleased to see one scoffing his breakfast this morning, and another loitering close by, and a third came to join them. We watched a while, and laughed (quietly) as each time they took a seed, the husk was delicately spat out. As soon as they had gone my son ran out to collect the discarded husks. I am amazed that a bird can be so dexterous with its beak. And so we had a little pile of emptied husks which had, just a few minutes earlier, been inside the mouth of a greenfinch. It felt like real contact with nature, a precious moment amidst the morning chores!

No comments: