Wednesday 18 June 2008

Books!

I have a deeply held conviction that I suspect is not true. I hold the belief that somewhere, out there, is a book that will change my life This book will hold the answer to all my dilemmas and will show me how to live. In pursuit of this quest, I love to browse amazon. I would actually choose this rather than a leisurely wander round a bookshop. I know it's a clever marketing technique but I love the bit where they show me other interesting books like the one I'm already looking at or tell me what other customers who bought my book also bought - maybe they will lead me to The One.
I have a wish list which means that every time I stumble across a book I like the sound of I can pop it on the wish list and never forget it! When I have some spare cash, I head for my wish list and order something. I also relish the challenge of trying to get my order over, but as close to as possible, to £15 so I get free 'supersaver' delivery and still don't spend too much! (That's another marketing technique that gets me every time - spend this much and get free postage and package!)
Yesterday, three books arrived. I love the look of new books, the insight promised, the new world view just waiting to be had. I love putting my little name stickers inside my pristine books and claiming them as mine, all mine! There is, however, a risk involved in ordering three at the same time, especially when I am already half-way through a novel and a Home Ed book. Books are like biscuits. Left untouched, unopened, they keep a while. But once I've opened the packet they go stale, they lose their freshness and their appeal. Books are like fruit. What once held plump and succulent promise now looks a little wrinkled and I have to force myself to take a bite. I have a few such books on my shelves. Bought in enthusiasm, dipped into, the packaging opened, a nibble taken, but then never finished. Now they sit and look sadly, accusingly, at me and I doubt I will ever read them. But how can I cast out a book I bought but never read?

These are the books which arrived yesterday:

Outside Lies Magic This one I chose because of Melissa Wiley's posts about it and I read a few pages last night. While not writing about Home Ed, much he said resonated with what I believe: 'I wonder if more students would do better in elementary and high school if teachers taught more about individual exploration of subjects and less about sliding smoothly along observational ruts.' I am really looking forward to learning to explore and to leading my children on such adventures!

Difficult Conversations This was recommended by my dear friend Gina. I want to learn to take responsibility for what I say, to deal with the stuff that bothers me and instead of fuming inwardly and then exploding: 'We avoid asking up front for what we want ... we ruminate privately or publicly wishing we could say or do something. ... At some point our tolerance breaks down and it is then we resort to aggression in one of its many forms.' I am hoping to learn skills to be different!

Writing with Power I came across this in Julie Bogart's writing. Julie has provided inspiration, encouragement, ideas and practical help in my Home Ed journey and I cannot recommend her blog, web-site, The Writer's Jungle or her on-line classes enough. She has spoken directly and indirectly into my life on a number of occasions. Since reading The Artist's Way, I have been shyly intrigued by the idea of writing and this blog is one step towards introducing some creative writing into my life. Buying this book is another step.

So, having torn off the packaging and taken a nibble, the challenge is to munch them up before they go stale!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

You have so many fantastic things to say and share. I'm so glad you took the leap into blogging!

Kathy @ www.restorationplace.typpad.com