Tuesday 17 June 2008

Birdsong

A few weeks ago the children and I went on a guided bird walk. I was awe-inspired by the knowledgeable gentlemen who guided us who were able to hear a tiny snatch of bird song and identify the bird - a Blackcap, a Whitethroat, a Wren, a Stonechat. It is one of those skills I would love to have. I can identify a few birds by their song but not many so my interest was caught by the story yesterday that baby birds too have to be taught their native songs. I have also read that blackbirds increase their repertoire as they grow older and that chaffinches show regional accents! The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds have a great resource where you can hear each bird's call.

The baby Blackbird in our garden seems to have disappeared. Over the weekend the parents continued to be agitated and protective but no longer. Although it's a relief that the ear-splitting chink-chinking has stopped, I feel sad that the fledglings have not survived. The RSPB web-site tells me that, at best, only 30-40% of nests produce fledged young. Perhaps the older blackbirds' songs are not just only more complex, but also more melancholy - wiser and sadder.

No comments: