Thursday 26 June 2008

My Fruit Bowl

In my daily amble through my favourite blogs (getting a blog roll sorted is still on my 'To Do' list) I came across this post by Jen: Great advice for writers: never, ever hoard ideas, which led me to this blog, 10 Minute Writer. A few months ago I would not have called myself a writer but I am beginning to discover that it is something I like to do and something I am discovering that I can do, and here I am, in a blog, actually doing it! I frequently find that I have ideas for posts, or stories, and hoard them away for when I have time, time which never materialises. The Fruit Bowl idea is not mine but I liked it and it gave me a great title for a few random thoughts which I am not hoarding.

I have finished 'Difficult Conversations', one of the books I bought last week, and I have found it very thought provoking. I am almost hoping for some kind of situation to arise so I can try out these new skills! Having said that, I have already used this way of communicating with my children instead of the usual fish-wife approach and have been surprised by the increase in co-operation! The author writes of the need to communicate from a position of 'personal power', a place of self-esteem and congruence. She also writes much about our need of emotional awareness and honesty: 'Getting accustomed to your own emotional landscape - its irregularities, its sensitivities, the danger signs, your emotional needs and rhythms - can help towards long term emotional management. For now, though, it is enough to recognise your own emotional clues with curiosity and without censure.' All too frequently I will dismiss what I feel as 'silly'. I am going to try to develop a more curious and accepting attitude.

My eldest son has won a Special Prize for his re-telling of the story of Odysseus and the Cyclops in a Creative Writing competition! The judges' comments were detailed and encouraging; I was particularly pleased and proud to read they felt his writing had ' a strong sense of its own voice.' This idea of writer's voice is one that Julie at Bravewriter speaks of frequently and I found her Kidswrite Basic course earlier this year immensely helpful. Not only did it encourage and coach my son but I was also mentored in how to come alongside him in his writing and to be able to help him improve whilst preserving his ownership and that all important voice that is unique to him.

We watched '102 Dalmatians' yesterday, following on from the last two weeks of 'Media Studies'. I was pleasantly surprised because I had expected it to be dross as sequels so often are! We paused the DVD ooccasionally to discuss how the plot might work out and to look closely at how Cruella de Vil's return to her wicked ways was characterised by her smooth, coiffured hair springing out in wild abandon and her lipstick gradually changing colour. There was a lovely scene of Chloe and Kevin in a restaurant cutting back and forth with the meatball scene from 'Lady and the Tramp' and mirroring it beautifully. I am not sure that the Local Education Authority would approve of so much education by Disney but I know that I have begun to appreciate plot and characterisation better, largely through some of Julie's blog entries, and so I'm sure the children have too. I had to laugh aloud when the love interest appeared and my daughter's face lit up, 'I wonder how long until they get married?' - she is such a romantic!

Well, I've not been a 10 Minute Writer today, but at least I've no mouldy fruit!

No comments: