Wednesday 10 June 2009

Another Lens

My eldest son is a voracious reader. Anything and everything he can get his hands on. We stagger back from the library, burdened with a bursting backpack, and he would prefer not to speak, sleep or eat until he is done reading all his choices.
My middle son is different. He likes the idea of books and usually brings many home from the library, but seldom reads them, preferring to pore over the latest Lego catalogue or the Star Wars Visual Dictionary.
Last week we ordered a set of history books. He disappeared to his room with them, was frequently seen carrying one around and within a couple of days he had read all eight. He has related numerous facts to me that he has read, asked a number of questions and is now re-reading them.
So often I feel as if I am working against resistance, forcing the children to do what they don't want to do. I am learning in a deep way that motivation is internal and with the right approach, the right lens as Julie puts it, anything is possible.

1 comment:

Jane D. said...

fantastic - we have found our newest arrival just needed to see my (now) middle one reading all the time and is now doing the same.