Tuesday 16 September 2008

Niches

I had a couple of lovely comments on yesterday's post. Kathy spoke of finding a niche and Jo of deciding what I want to write about and then writing about it. Putting these together I realised that I was slipping into a mind set of trying to please some unknown readership, trying to reach some uncertain standard, trying to be liked. I haven't figured out my niche yet, and I don't always write about what is important to me because I am afraid, afraid of offending, afraid of being too vulnerable, afraid of what people who know me will think. I have not allowed myself to settle into my very own niche and have instead tried to define my content to beign with and have written to that specification.
I have kept very quiet about my Christian faith and the incredible journey that God has been leading me on, especially in these last months, and perhaps that is why this blog has become harder to write.
I keep very quiet about my running, another important part of my life.
Since term started my husband has been working a six-day week and he is currently on a school trip. I feel bad even mentioning that as one of my very dear friends is coping on her own with three little ones as her husband begins a tour of duty in a war zone, but I do find it hard to get so little time on my own. In the last 36 hours I have sat with friends as they have needed to talk and I have spent time on the phone with two mums of newborns. I have raced for my running club and I have cooked for, washed for and 'educated' three children. I have not had the opportunity to have much time for myself.
Blogging has become a few snatched moments and I want to find ways of making more time for it because I enjoy writing and it is something just for me. It feels like growing.
So, this is what I'm going to do:
I'm going to find or make more time to write, especially when these mad first days of September are done.
I'm going to write more about my faith, my relationship with Jesus, my running as well as Home Ed and my children.
I'm going to explore what I want to write and see if I can find my niche.

In the meantime, I need to make a confession.
We have two resident spiders and I am getting quite fond of them but my husband would rather we removed them to the wild outdoors. One lives in a hole in one door frame and the other, at the opposite end of the room, in a worrying large crack around the another door frame. They come out in the dark and are obviously 'jumping on things' spiders rather than 'catching things in a web' spiders.
Yesterday, I found one in the sink. This was proof to me of what I have heard, that they do not come up the drain pipe but fall in and can't get out: it tried over and again to scale the shiny walls but slithered down each time. The children and I had a look at it and then captured it with the cup and card technique. This, surely, was a perfect moment to introduce it to its natural environment.
After some thought I put it back on the wall next to its crack. It stopped for a while, cleaned its feet (that was interesting to watch - I guess they had something from the sink on them) and then disappeared into its home with, I like to think, a sigh of relief.
Sorry love. Yes, I did have it in a cup. Yes, I could have taken it in the garden. Yes, I put it back. What can I say - you love me 'cos I'm a softy!!

5 comments:

Kathy said...

Ahhh...your new journey with Jesus! Well, you must get your hands on anything written by Graham Cooke (he's from England but now residing in the US). He, more than any Christian writer, articulates my new awareness of who God is. He's very non-churchy. Oh, I could go on and on! Maybe I'll write a blog post on him.:-)
Kathy @ www.restorationplace.typepad.com

Gaynor said...

Thanks for the recommendation - I've had a quick look for his stuff on amazon and it looks very interesting. Philip Yancey is one of my favourite Christian writers.

Jane D. said...

I love your spider confession Gaynor - this made my veggie heart smile x.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to hear about some of that stuff. I don't understand running (unless chased) but I can see how it is important to some people and don't mind reading about it. I've been reading some Madeline L'Engle. Just finished Two-Part Invention and just started The Rock that is Higher. She seems interesting. Also, read the novel The Sparrow and discussed it with a friend. That really gets you thinking about the nature of faith.

But on the writing about that kind of stuff (running made me think of it), have you seen Handmade Homeschool? She's Canadian but almost as far from me as you are. And she writes beautifully about her art, running, etc. Might give you some ideas and inspiration.
http://handmadehomeschool.wordpress.com/

Gaynor said...

Handmade Homeschool looks great: home schooling and the Budapest Half Marathon, just my kind of thing.
The Sparrow looks intriguing on Amazon, and I will look out for Madeleine L'Engle.