Tuesday 29 July 2008

Nature - Home and Away

Last Autumn we caught a ten-minute BBC documentary about Skomer Island and the puffins breeding there and the idea for our holiday destination was born. Puffins are enchanting birds and none of us had ever seen one in real life before. I had no idea how much more there is to Skomer and we saw, in addition to the puffins, a short-eared owl, guillemots, fulmars, kittiwakes, choughs, seals and porpoises. Even the wardens were excited about the choughs so I guess they must be quite unusual.
Earlier in the week we had been treated to the sight of a peregrine falcon flying directly over our campsite, harried by a pair of crows. It was the crying of the birds that alerted us to the trio as they flew over. Again, this was a first for us, seeing a peregrine.
As we packed to leave my middle son raced up to me, face glowing with excitement, with a lizard in his hands. We rapidly unpacked a jam-jar (to keep it in while we looked at it) and a field guide (to indentify it, it was a common lizard) - a blessed end to our holiday.

Closer to home, I spent yesterday evening, under the direction of my dear friend Gina, wrestling to begin to get some control in my garden. We were very lucky last year to have the opportunity to purchase a stretch of land behind our garden, thereby doubling its size. I have grand plans for the land and hope to create a friendly place for wildlife, inspired by the book 'How to Make a Wildlife Garden' but I suffer from a dire lack of knowledge, skill or motivation! The only thing that has really taken off so far is the meadow, which is just over-grown grass. The only problem is that it's a little difficult to distinguish from the rest of the over-grown grass! The idea was to have formal beds near the house, gradually becoming wilder in the distance. Gina did wonders last night and is still talking about what we will do in the Autumn so I am greatly encouraged. I don't know what the local wildlife thinks of it but I am hoping it will get their seal of approval. I saw the zebra spider again today, so he at least, must like it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That does sound nice. I think choughs are a bit rare. We saw some in the alps last November but Mat was quite excited.

Your garden plans sound great. Gina's "we" is also promising. Much more fun to do together, I suspect. But gardening is never set in stone. If something doesn't work you can move it. Or plant something else. or whatever. Having a longer time horizon works much better with the natural cycles of these things anyway.

The RSPB organizes a garden bird watch that you and the kids might enjoy, btw. And the magazines they do for kids (come with a family membership) are excellent.