Wednesday 9 February 2011

Transition

Transition is a recognised stage of labour. It's the bit in between getting the body ready for the baby to begin its journey and the baby making its way out. Nothing particular happens, but it is the time when mums-to-be decided they don't want to do it any more. I remember feeling just like that in labour with my daughter: I'm done, I told my birth supporter, and I don't want to play anymore. Wise woman and NCT teacher that she is, she smiled and told me that it was just transition. It was such a relief to hear; I wasn't going mad, it wasn't going all wrong and these feelings I had were normal and recognised. It was just that uncomfortable stage between one thing and another, and no matter how much I want the new thing, transition is not a nice place to be.
It feels as if a lot of things are changing in my life right now: I am waiting on council approval for major work on our house which will lead to a change in our family situation; my step-father is elderly, frail and unwell; my dog is a boisterous puppy still learning to be obedient; my children constantly grow and change and our current home-ed strategy isn't currently working for me; last year's annuals are still standing dead in the garden and this year's weeds are already beginning to grow as winter turns to spring. I am uncomfortable. I am very much excited about all that the summer promises, however, there is a lot to get through before it is a reality. But it helps to know that it's just transition, it's known to be uncomfortable and a new life is being birthed.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I'll keep that in my head until May - I'm in a constant gear chnage in preparation for a new automatic, cruise control, watch the scenary model!
Hope you're having a fun day
xxx