Tuesday 8 February 2011

To much pi

My parents-in-law often send me pictures or funnies which they think will amuse the children. The last they sent was a list of puns, "Strictly for Lexophiles", and it has certainly amused me! I have printed it off and read a few to the children each day at breakfast. They usually take a little explaining to the younger two, but my word-smith eldest smiles with inside knowledge. I love the complexity and beauty of language, the precision of the right word, the surprise of a pun and I delight in those snappy advertising lines with a double meaning. These puns have led to lively discussions on how words can be both noun and verb: Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana, and common sayings: A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion, and today we got onto some maths: The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference, who acquired his size from too much pi. A chat ensued about ratios, circles and the value of pi, recalled from counting the letters in the phrase "How I wish I could remember pi," (3.141592.) And all this before 8:20am!
My favourite, though, is when a clock is hungry, it goes back four seconds!

No comments: