Tuesday 7 December 2010

Impressive Bleeding

I gave blood last night. I have been told in the past that I am a fast bleeder and this has brought out my competitive streak. For the last few donations I have been trying to crack the four-minute barrier and each time I have missed it by a few seconds. I explained to the donor carer last night that I wanted to know how long it took as I was aiming to break my personal best. He let me know that it depended a bit on the way he punctured my arm and said he would do his best for me. (I am not sure if this was tongue-in-cheek!) And away I went. He kept me updated with my progress, said I was doing well and when I was finished he revealed my time: 3 minutes and 23 seconds! A record! He even went as far as to say that he thought that was quite impressive. No-one else seems to get how excited this made me. Here is something I am good at, or at least fast which is nearly the same. I managed to impress someone and I achieved a personal goal. Now all I need to do is find something that actually matters.
(The same donor carer commented at the end that he had seen someone do 3 minutes 15 seconds before. The gauntlet is down ... )

No comments: