Wednesday 10 December 2008

Building Blocks


Judging from the questions in Maths workbooks for my daughter's age (5), one thing that it is very important for children to understand and know how to describe is the order of events, being able to use 1st , 2nd, 3rd and so on.
In one of our recent sessions of 'Table Learning' (recently re-named from 'Table Work') the book which my daughter is using had a page on this topic. There were sets of three pictures and she had to write next to them which order they would come in. For example, there was a bean, a seedling and a large plant.
One set showed some children's building blocks scattered on the floor, a half-finished construction and a completed tower. When I came to see how she was doing she had labelled it thus:

1st: Half-built tower
2nd: Completed tower
3rd: Scattered blocks
She looked at me with a mischievous grin. "Playing with blocks, finished the tower, knocked the tower down," she explained.
My son told me she'd done it wrong. I say "Yey for the free thinker!"

No comments: