Tuesday 5 April 2011

North Downs Way, part 1

It was hard work getting out of bed this morning. My legs felt heavy and just a little bit sore. I have spent the last two days walking. I have walked, altogether, from Farnham to Merstham, a distance of around 35 miles: I have begun to fulfil my year's intention of completing the North Downs Way. We had two days of beautiful weather, wide open skies, green fields, woods, rivers, hills and little birds. We have talked deeply and laughed a lot; drunk tea and eaten cake on the top of Box Hill and outside a Pre-Raphaelite Art Gallery; discovered forticfications to transform the North Downs into the last line of defence from a threatened French Invasion at the end of the 19th Century and lime quarries and water towers. (I took some great photos too, but sadly my phone has had to go back for repair (oh no, not again!) so they will have to be added later.) It has been a great couple of days out from life and, despite being exhausted, I am happily refreshed.

No comments: